[Liste-CICMA] SÉMINAIRE QUÉBEC-VERMONT NUMBER THEORY (19/01/2017, Chris Skinner, John Bergdall)

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at crm.umontreal.ca
Mon Jan 16 09:55:18 EST 2017

Le jeudi 19 janvier 2017 / Thursday, January 19, 2017

Chris Skinner (Princeton)

TITRE / TITLE :
TBA

Le jeudi 19 janvier 2017 / Thursday, January 19, 2017

John Bergdall (Boston University)

TITRE / TITLE :
Families of modular forms

LIEU / PLACE :
Concordia University, Library Building, 9th floor, room LB 921-4

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
Modular forms are central objects in number theory. They famously appear in the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem and more generally they play a role in the so-called Langlands program. This talk is concerned with the eigenforms, modular forms that are more algebraic in nature, and our ability to deform eigenforms into geometric families. My goal is to explain the history as well as the motivation for modular forms and families thereof. In addition, I will discuss recent results on the geometric properties of these families. This talk is intended for a general audience. A portion this work is joint with David Hansen.

Eyal Z. Goren (eyal.goren at mcgill.ca)
Chantal David (cdavid at mathstat.concordia.ca)