[Liste-CICMA] Keerthi Madapusi Pera, Monday January 9.

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at crm.umontreal.ca
Thu Jan 5 09:02:29 EST 2017

Dear Colleagues and students,

Next week we will have two candidate talk in number theory at McGill - by Keerthi Madapusi Pera and by Jennifer Park. Here is the information about Keerthi’s talk. Jennifer’s will be on Wednesday and details will follow. All are invited.
Eyal.

Dr. Keerthi Madapusi Pera (Chicago University)

Monday, January 9, 16:00 - 17:00, BH 719

Title: Periods, L-functions and abelian varieties

Abstract: Periods are a special class of complex numbers, arising as integrals of differential forms on algebraic varieties. L-functions are analytic objects that generalize the Riemann zeta function. Both are objects admitting deceptively simple definitions, but carry deep arithmetic information.

In this talk, I'll explain a relationship between periods of abelian varieties with complex multiplication, and certain Artin L-functions, originally conjectured by P. Colmez, and sketch a proof of it that arose out of joint work with Andreatta, Goren and Ben Howard. Among other applications, this relationship has led to a proof by J. Tsimerman of the Andre-Oort conjecture for Siegel modular varieties.
Guillermo Martinez-Zalce
Responsable des laboratoires
Centre de recherches mathématiques
Université de Montréal
Case postale 6128, Succursale centre-ville
Montréal (Québec)
H3C 3J7
tel: (514) 343-7574
      (514) 398-3826 (mercredis)