[Liste-CICMA] Fwd: Please forward to CICMA mailing list

Eyal Goren, Prof. eyal.goren at mcgill.ca
Wed Jan 4 16:27:09 EST 2017

Begin forwarded message:

From: Eyal Goren <eyal.goren at mcgill.ca<mailto:eyal.goren at mcgill.ca>>
Date: January 4, 2017 at 4:24:27 PM GMT-5
To: Guillermo Martinez-Zalce <martinez at CRM.UMontreal.CA<mailto:martinez at CRM.UMontreal.CA>>

Dear Colleagues and students,
Next week we will have two candidate talk in number theory at McGill - by Keerthi Madapusi Pera and by Jennifer Park. Here is the information about Keerthi’s talk. Jennifer’s will be on Wednesday and details will follow. All are invited.
Eyal.

Dr. Keerthi Madapusi Pera (Chicago University)

Monday, January 9, 16:00 - 17:00, BH 719

Title: Periods, L-functions and abelian varieties

Abstract: Periods are a special class of complex numbers, arising as integrals of differential forms on algebraic varieties. L-functions are analytic objects that generalize the Riemann zeta function. Both are objects admitting deceptively simple definitions, but carry deep arithmetic information.

In this talk, I'll explain a relationship between periods of abelian varieties with complex multiplication, and certain Artin L-functions, originally conjectured by P. Colmez, and sketch a proof of it that arose out of joint work with Andreatta, Goren and Ben Howard. Among other applications, this relationship has led to a proof by J. Tsimerman of the Andre-Oort conjecture for Siegel modular varieties.