[Liste-CICMA] Montreal-Toronto Workshop January 13-14, 2018

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at crm.umontreal.ca
Wed Dec 6 11:19:28 EST 2017

Dear Friends
(This seems to encompass everyone - students, postdocs, faculty, visitors)

This short email is to remind everyone of the coming Montreal-Toronto workshop taking place in Montreal (at the CRM) on January 13-14, 2018.

Arrival time is Friday afternoon; lectures start early on Saturday and finish Sunday at 13:00.

The workshop is devoted to some aspects of unitary Shimura varieties. It is an instructional event and the emphasis is placed on that. Still, we hope to occasionally present new, or at least recent, developments, and indeed we have two “guest speakers”, but this is not our main goal.

As to financial assistance. Unfortunately, we are operating on a shoestring budget, where most of the money is coming from personal grants. (The CRM contributed what they could, and the Fields contributed nothing.) Therefore, we will be offering the limited support we can first to students and postdocs and then to faculty. Faculty can certainly help up by covering their own expenses and sponsoring students. Participants can help by purchasing train tickets at good prices.

After this discouraging bit, there is every reason to look forward to another great Montreal-Toronto meeting! A preliminary schedule and description is attached to this message - if you spot any typos, please let Eyal know.

Before signing off, we would like to ask people to register once the webpage becomes operational. (This is out of our hands, as this is handled by the CRM. We will let you know when it becomes operational.)

Registration is free, but mandatory. The key point is to indicate your interest in a hotel reservation. You can take care of this aspect already by sending an email to Guillermo at  martinez at CRM.UMontreal.CA <mailto:martinez at CRM.UMontreal.CA>

Please indicate: full name, affiliation, professional status (graduate student, postdoc, faculty), date of arrival and of departure.

BUT, this is not a replacement for registering. We need to know how many people would show up to avoid fisticuffs over the last chocolate croissants. :-)

With best wishes,

Eyal and Steve.

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce
Responsable des laboratoires
Centre de recherches mathématiques
Université de Montréal
Case postale 6128, Succursale centre-ville
Montréal (Québec)
H3C 3J7
tel: (514) 343-7574
      (514) 398-3826 (mercredis)