[Liste-CICMA] SÉMINAIRE QUÉBEC-VERMONT NUMBER THEORY (06/04/2017, Rafael von Kanel, Netan Dogra)

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at crm.umontreal.ca
Mon Apr 3 10:12:19 EDT 2017

Le jeudi 6 avril 2017 / Thursday, April 6, 2017

Rafael von Kanel (Princeton)

TITRE / TITLE :
Integral points on Hilbert modular varieties

We will discuss a joint project with Arno Kret in which we studied integral points on Hilbert modular varieties. In particular we shall present explicit upper bounds for the height and number of integral points on Hilbert modular varieties. We shall also explain the strategy of proof.

Le jeudi 6 avril 2017 / Thursday, April 6, 2017

Netan Dogra (Imperial College)

TITRE / TITLE :
An effective Chabauty-Kim theorem

LIEU / PLACE :
Concordia University, Library Building, 9th floor, room LB 921-4

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
This talk concerns two refinements of Chabauty's theorem, which proved the Mordell conjecture for curves whose Jacobian has small rank. The first is Coleman's effective refinement, which gives a bound on the number of rational points. The second is Kim's nonabelian refinement, which allows to relax the hypotheses of Chabauty's theorem. In the talk we will explain how an analogue of Coleman's argument in the nonabelian setting can be used to bound the number of rational points of certain curves for which Chabauty's method does not apply. This is joint work with Jennifer Balakrishnan.

Eyal Z. Goren (eyal.goren at mcgill.ca)
Chantal David (cdavid at mathstat.concordia.ca)

http://www.dms.umontreal.ca/~qvnts/QVNTSinfo.html <http://www.dms.umontreal.ca/~qvnts/QVNTSinfo.html>