[Liste-CICMA] Changes of schedule for the Quebec-Vermont Number Theory Seminar (Tomorrow November 17)

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at CRM.UMontreal.CA
Wed Nov 16 11:44:38 EST 2016

Dear all,

The schedule of the conferences have changed, now Dohyeong Kim’s conference will be in the morning at McGill and Ramon Moreira’s conference will be at 2pm at Concordia.

Here is the updated schedule:

Le jeudi 17 novembre 2016 / Thursday, November 17, 2016

Dohyeong Kim (Michigan)

TITRE / TITLE :
Arithmetic Chern-Simons theory

In arithmetic topology, one wishes to compare 3-manifolds and spectra of number rings. Arithmetic Chern-Simons theory refers to the arithmetic analogue of the Dijkgraaf-Witten theory in topology. The arithmetic Chern-Simons functional is the key object in the theory. We will highlight its computational nature and its connection to a classical question, the embedding problem in Galois theory. The computational nature will be supported by a wide range of numerical examples, which allows us to access some non-abelian information about the etale fundamental groups of spectra of number rings. The talk will be based on a joint work with H. Chung, M. Kim, J. Park, and H. Yoo.

Le jeudi 17 novembre 2016 / Thursday, November 17, 2016

Ramon Moreira Nunes (EPFL)

TITRE / TITLE :
On the least square-free number in an arithmetic progression.

LIEU / PLACE :
Concordia Bookstore, Library Building, 9th floor

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
We will talk about the problem of estimating the smallest square-free number in a fixed arithmetic progression. This problem was previously studied by Prachar, Hooley, Erdös and Heath-Brown. We show how to improve on these previous results. Our technique is based on methods of Heath-Brown and generalizations by Pierce.

Henri Darmon (darmon at math.mcgill.ca <mailto:darmon at math.mcgill.ca>)
Eyal Z. Goren (eyal.goren at mcgill.ca <mailto:eyal.goren at mcgill.ca>)
Chantal David (cdavid at mathstat.concordia.ca <mailto:cdavid at mathstat.concordia.ca>)

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce
Responsable des laboratoires
Centre de recherches mathématiques
Université de Montréal
Case postale 6128, Succursale centre-ville
Montréal (Québec)
H3C 3J7
tel: (514) 343-7574
      (514) 398-3826 (mercredis)