[Liste-CICMA] SÉMINAIRE QUÉBEC-VERMONT NUMBER THEORY (17/11/2016, Ramon Moreira Nunes, Dohyeong Kim)

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at crm.umontreal.ca
Mon Nov 14 10:23:40 EST 2016

Le jeudi 17 novembre 2016 / Thursday, November 17, 2016

Ramon Moreira Nunes (EPFL)

TITRE / TITLE :
On the least square-free number in an arithmetic progression.

We will talk about the problem of estimating the smallest square-free number in a fixed arithmetic progression. This problem was previously studied by Prachar, Hooley, Erdös and Heath-Brown. We show how to improve on these previous results. Our technique is based on methods of Heath-Brown and generalizations by Pierce.

Le jeudi 17 novembre 2016 / Thursday, November 17, 2016

Dohyeong Kim (Michigan)

TITRE / TITLE :
Arithmetic Chern-Simons theory

LIEU / PLACE :
Concordia Bookstore, Library Building, 9th floor

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
In arithmetic topology, one wishes to compare 3-manifolds and spectra of number rings. Arithmetic Chern-Simons theory refers to the arithmetic analogue of the Dijkgraaf-Witten theory in topology. The arithmetic Chern-Simons functional is the key object in the theory. We will highlight its computational nature and its connection to a classical question, the embedding problem in Galois theory. The computational nature will be supported by a wide range of numerical examples, which allows us to access some non-abelian information about the etale fundamental groups of spectra of number rings. The talk will be based on a joint work with H. Chung, M. Kim, J. Park, and H. Yoo.

Eyal Z. Goren (eyal.goren at mcgill.ca)
Chantal David (cdavid at mathstat.concordia.ca)