[Liste-CICMA] SÉMINAIRE MONTREAL ANALYSIS SEMINAR, COLLOQUE ISM (01/04/2016, Malabika Pramanik)

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at crm.umontreal.ca
Thu Mar 24 12:04:07 EDT 2016

SÉMINAIRE MONTREAL ANALYSIS SEMINAR

Le vendredi 1 avril 2016 / Friday, April 1, 2016

HEURE / TIME :
13 h 30 - 14 h 30 / 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.

CONFERENCIER(S) / SPEAKER(S) :
Malabika Pramanik (UBC)

TITRE / TITLE :
A Roth type theorem for large subsets of multidimensional Euclidean spaces

LIEU / PLACE :
McGill, Burnside Hall, 805 Sherbrooke Str West, Room 920

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
We prove that sets of positive upper density contain 3-term progressions of all sufficiently large gaps when the gap size is measured in certain metrics. This is known to be false in the ordinary l^2-metric. We plan to discuss the contrast between the two situations. Joint work with Brian Cook and Akos Magyar.

Dmitry Jakobson (jakobson at math.mcgill.ca)

http://www.math.mcgill.ca/jakobson/analysish/seminar.html <http://www.math.mcgill.ca/jakobson/analysish/seminar.html>

COLLOQUE DES SCIENCES MATHÉMATIQUES DU QUÉBEC

Le vendredi 1 avril 2016 / Friday, April 1, 2016

HEURE / TIME :
16 h / 4:00 p.m.

CONFERENCIER(S) / SPEAKER(S) :
Malabika Pramanik (UBC)

TITRE / TITLE :
Needles, Bushes, Hairbrushes and Polynomials

LIEU / PLACE :
UQAM, Pavillon Président-Kennedy, 201, ave du Président-Kennedy, salle PK-5115

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
Pretend that your car is a unit line segment. How do you perform a three point turn using an infinitesimally small area on the road? It turns out that this seemingly impossible driving stunt is related to the fundamental theorem of calculus, as well as all the objects in the title of this talk! We will explore these connections and see how they have been useful in many problems in mathematics.

Yvan Saint-Aubin (yvan.saint-aubin at umontreal.ca)
Iosif Polterovich (iosif.polterovich at umontreal.ca)
Henri Darmon (darmon at math.mcgill.ca)
David A. Stephens (dstephens at math.mcgill.ca)