[Liste-CICMA] Seminar tomorrow

Farzad Aryan aryan at CRM.Umontreal.ca
Wed Jul 13 17:56:30 EDT 2016

Dear all,

Tomorrow at 11:00 am in room 5448 André Aisenstadt, Daniel Fiorilli from
University of Ottawa will give a talk.

Title: The variance of primes in arithmetic progressions

Abstract: We will discuss recent progress on Hooley's conjecture, which
predicts an asymptotic for the variance of primes in arithmetic
progressions. This conjecture is known unconditionally on average over
very large moduli, and under GRH and Hardy-Littlewood for individual
moduli of average size. In joint work with Greg Martin, we show
unconditionally that the conjecture is false for a positive proportion of
small moduli.

See you there,
Farzad