[Liste-CICMA] SÉMINAIRE QUÉBEC-VERMONT NUMBER THEORY (22/10/2015, Jan Vonk, Aksaa Vatvani)

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at crm.umontreal.ca
Wed Oct 21 09:34:09 EDT 2015

Updated with abstracts.

Le jeudi 22 octobre 2015 / Thursday, October 22, 2015

Jan Vonk (McGill)

TITRE / TITLE :
The geometry of Hecke operators

Motivated by the success of algebro-geometric techniques for the study of modular forms, we attempt to study Hecke operators on spaces of modular forms as geometric objects. We investigate their semi-stable reductions and show how passing to cohomology at the last possible moment is useful in the study of eigenvalues of Hecke operators.

Le jeudi 22 octobre 2015 / Thursday, October 22, 2015

Akshaa Vatvani (Queen's)

TITRE / TITLE :
The higher rank Selberg sieve and applications

LIEU / PLACE :
Concordia University, Library Building, 9th floor

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
In May 2013, Yitang Zhang proved the spectacular result that there are infinitely many bounded gaps between the primes. A few months later, Maynard and Tao independently gave a different and more simplified approach to this problem, also obtaining better numerical bounds.

We present the general higher rank Selberg sieve that emerges out of these methods and discuss an application of this sieve to the k-tuple conjecture, which improves upon a previous result of Heath-Brown.

This is joint work with Professor Ram Murty.

Andrew Granville (andrew at dms.umontreal.ca)
Dimitris Koukoulopoulos (koukoulo at dms.umontreal.ca)