[Liste-CICMA] SÉMINAIRE QUÉBEC-VERMONT NUMBER THEORY (10/12/2015, S.Eberhard, N.Tanabe)

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at crm.umontreal.ca
Tue Dec 8 16:01:55 EST 2015

Le jeudi 10 décembre 2015 / Thursday, December 10, 2015

Sean Eberhard (Oxford)

TITRE / TITLE :
Invariable generation of the symmetric group

Permutations pi_1, ..., pi_k of an n-element set are said to *invariably generate* S_n if whenever you replace them by conjugates they still generate S_n. In this talk we will discuss why four random permutations invariably generate S_n with positive probability, while three random permutations almost surely do not invariably generate S_n. This is joint work with Kevin Ford and Ben Green.

Le jeudi 10 décembre 2015 / Thursday, December 10, 2015

Naomi Tanabe (Dartmouth)

TITRE / TITLE :
Nonvanishing of central L-values of Rankin-Selberg convolutions

LIEU / PLACE :
Concordia University, Library Building, 9th floor

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
In this talk, we present some nonvanishing results on central critical values of Rankin-Selberg convolutions associated to Hilbert modular forms in various setting, The proof is to use bounds on their moments. This is joint work with Alia Hamieh.

Andrew Granville (andrew at dms.umontreal.ca)
Dimitris Koukoulopoulos (koukoulo at dms.umontreal.ca)