[Liste-CICMA] CICMA seminars for November 27 (M. Munsch and S. Bettin) and 28 (Radziwill)

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at crm.umontreal.ca
Tue Nov 25 13:50:52 EST 2014

Le jeudi 27 novembre 2014 / Thursday, November 27, 2014

Marc Munsch (CRM)

TITRE / TITLE :
Character sums and congruence equations

LIEU / PLACE :
CRM, Université de Montréal, Pav. André Aisenstadt, 2920 chemin de la Tour, salle 6214

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
I will discuss some recent joint work with Igor Shparlinski on character sums and its applications to some congruence equations. These have a lot of applications, for instance they give us some information about the distribution of quadratic residues. We will focus on the solvability of au=x modulo a prime p, where x lies in an interval I and u in some approximate subgroup U of F_p. It has been recently shown by Cilleruelo and Garaev that this equation is solvable for almost all a, provided that |I|> p^{5/8+eps} and |U| > p^{3/8} (where U is a subgroup or a set of consecutive powers of a primitive root). We will prove, for almost all primes, some bounds on character sums which allows us to obtain similar results for a wider range of sizes for U and I.

Le jeudi 27 novembre 2014 / Thursday, November 27, 2014

Sandro Bettin (CRM)

TITRE / TITLE :
On moments of Dirichlet L-functions.

LIEU / PLACE :
CRM, Université de Montréal, Pav. André Aisenstadt, 2920 chemin de la Tour, salle 6214

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
We will discuss some properties of the twisted second moment of the Dirichlet L-functions. In particular, we will investigate the reciprocity formula studied by Conrey and Young, highlighting a surprising continuity property. We will also highlight the relation of the twisted moment with the Estermann function, and give the asymptotic for "the moments of the twisted moments".

Andrew Granville (andrew at dms.umontreal.ca)
Dimitris Koukoulopoulos (koukoulo at CRM.UMontreal.CA)

SÉMINAIRE ANALYTIC NUMBER THEORY

Le vendredi 28 novembre 2014 / Friday, November 28, 2014

HEURE / TIME :
14 h 30 - 16 h / 2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

CONFERENCIER(S) / SPEAKER(S) :
Maksym Radziwill

TITRE / TITLE :
A new proof of the Selberg Central limit theorem

LIEU / PLACE :
Université de Montréal, Pavillon André Aisenstadt, salle 4336

Sary Drappeau (sary.drappeau at gmail.com)

http://www.dms.umontreal.ca/~qvnts/index.html