[Liste-CICMA] SÉMINAIRE QUÉBEC-VERMONT NUMBER THEORY (20/03/2014, F. Shao, T. Wright, F. Andreatta, )

Guillermo Martinez-Zalce martinez at crm.umontreal.ca
Tue Mar 18 10:47:34 EDT 2014

Le jeudi 20 mars 2014 / Thursday, March 20, 2014

Fernando Shao (Stanford University)

TITRE / TITLE :
Quantitative bounds in Szemerédi-type theorems

LIEU / PLACE :
McGill University, Burnside Hall 920

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
Szemerédi's theorem says that, for any fixed $k$, every subset of the integers with positive density contains a nontrivial $k$-term arithmetic progression. A great amount of research has been devoted to obtaining good quantitative bounds for the density. It is generally believed that the primes contain arbitrarily long arithmetic progressions purely for density reasons, but the current bound does not imply that even in the simplest case when $k=3$. In this talk I will discuss some main ingredients in obtaining good bounds for Szemerédi's theorem.

Le jeudi 20 mars 2014 / Thursday, March 20, 2014

Tom Wright (Wofford University)

TITRE / TITLE :
Carmichael Numbers: Elliptic and Arithmetical

LIEU / PLACE :
Concordia University, 9th floor of the Library Building

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
In this talk, we discuss two new results on Carmichael numbers. First, we prove that there are infinitely many Carmichael numbers in arithmetic progressions. Second, we establish an elliptic curve analogue of Carmichael numbers called (unsurprisingly) “elliptic Carmichael numbers,” and we prove that there are infinitely many of these as well.

Le jeudi 20 mars 2014 / Thursday, March 20, 2014

HEURE / TIME :
16 h - 18 h / 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.

CONFERENCIER(S) / SPEAKER(S) :
Fabrizio Andreatta (Milano)

TITRE / TITLE :
A p-adic criterion for good reduction of curves.

LIEU / PLACE :
Concordia University, 9th floor of the Library Building

RESUME / ABSTRACT :
Given a curve over a dvr of mixed characteristic 0-p with smooth generic fiber and with semistable reduction I will present a criterion for good reduction in terms of the (unipotent) p-adic \'etale fundamental group of its generic fiber.

Andrew Granville (andrew at dms.umontreal.ca)
Dimitris Koukoulopoulos (koukoulo at CRM.UMontreal.CA)